University Student Died of Suffocation, Says Muhas Official

Dar es Salaam — The acting chancellor of the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (Muhas), Prof Apolinary Kamuhabwa, said preliminary investigation has revealed that a third year student, Mr Edward Kahitwa died of suffocation.

Speaking on Monday, May 21, 2018 during a farewell service for the deceased, Prof Kamuhabwa said food was found to have blocked the student’s air passage. He was reportedly eating when that happened.

The deceased’s body was discovered on May 19, in his room in the Kagera Hostel where he lived alone.

“Hostel cleaners discovered his body after three consecutive days of inactivity,” he said.

“The fourth day, they reported the incident to institute’s administration because the room had started smelling.”

Kahitwa was born on July 7, 1995 and attended Primary and Secondary School at Panda Hill in Mbeya.

He joined Form Five at Musoma Secondary School before his admission at the Muhas in 2015 where he was enrolled for a degree in pharmacy.

His remains will be transported today to Muleba, Kagera Region where he will be buried.