by JOHN JAMES MLAPONI
One of the things that students don’t bother noticing in colleges is choosing who should be a friend and who shouldn’t. It may however not sound important to someone to choose friends but it is very crucial because our friends are the ones who can highly affect our behaviors. Some people may not even realize their talents unless they meet the right people who can help unleash that special ability someone has. Here are some few tips which can help you to choose friends who will be helpful to you.
- What is your ambition? Knowing who you want to become is very important and to achieve this you at least need to be close to people who are interested in things related to who you want to be. Some people in colleges are interested in things which are quite different from what they are studying! We shall not get into that for the moment but if you are one of them don’t feel distracted and you are never late either, because you still have a chance if you hang with the right people. Link with those who do what you are interested in. For example one may be taking a Bachelor of Science with education but he is rather interested in playing with computer and mobile phone software, why shouldn’t this person have a friend doing Computer Engineering? Think of yourself!
- Your hobbies This will help you to choose people with whom you share common interests. People who like to do things they like are always happy with their lives because nothing feels better than enjoying what you do. However you shouldn’t be too selective to look for a friend who like everything that you do like as well, this is not always the case! If say, you like watching football but your schedule doesn’t allow you to play, it doesn’t mean that you have discard a friend who like to play football most of his/her time. No, it doesn’t work that way! Enjoying a few moments with him talking about football would sound better.
- What are your weaknesses? Identifying your weaknesses is one thing, accepting them is another! However this should not be a problem because some of them can be minimized if not completely avoided. Say, one is a drunkard, then why can’t this person stop hanging with those who like to sleep all day and party all night? This could probably minimize a chance of him being exposed to environment which could provoke his excessive drinking habit.
- Understand your ability Everyone has his own mental ability. Some are slow learners, some medium, others fast. Know where you belong because this will dictate how much time you need to spend in your studies to catch up with others. For those who are fast this might not be a problem but for slow ones this is a serious problem. I would not expect a person of this kind to spend most of his time with those who never spare too much of their time in studies. However, be careful because this doesn’t mean that a slow learner shouldn’t be friends with the fast ones! Perhaps they are the people he needs most, the only difference is putting comparatively more effort than they do, and seek help from them whenever possible.
- History Your past is very important because everyone you meet has something to teach you. Remember any of hard times you ever faced in your past. Who was around to appease you during those times? These are the true friends you all want. A friend is probably the one who is around with you when the rest are gone. Keep these good hearted people close to you because you can hardly find people of the kind.Always remember your behavior and actions are an average of the behavior and actions of five friends close to you. There are so many great things hidden in you, you just do not know yet. Get yourself close to the right people and you will see the best version of you.
Always remember your behavior and actions are an average of the behavior and actions of five friends close to you. There are be so many great things hidden in you, you just do not know yet. Get yourself close to the right people and you will see the best version of you.
John James Mlaponi